Investigations and diagnosis

This usually begins with a patient's GP, who will ask about the symptoms a patient is experiencing and their general health before conducting an examination. The GP may also take some blood tests.

If the GP notices anything unusual when conducting an examination or from any tests conducted, they will refer a patient to the Royal Victoria Hospital or Belfast City Hospital.

Patients will be seen by a Consultant Endocrine Specialist or nurse who will conduct an examination and may order further investigations. These investigations may include:

The types of tests and scans conducted at the hospital will be depend upon a patient's symptoms and the problematic areas.

Within a week of their investigations patients will be seen at clinic with an opportunity to discuss their results with one of the specialists.